Home Insurance

Home Insurance is an insurance policy that offers protection to individuals’ homes and possessions from a wide range of risks. Home Owners Insurance is typically split into two different types of cover: Contents and Fire.


Home Contents Insurance covers your home and possessions from a wide range of risks, including losses, damage, or theft. Home Contents Insurance will normally provide cover to your home on an “all risks” basis, meaning that unless specifically excluded, this policy will cover your insured content for loss or damage. Common risks covered:

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Explosion
  • Theft

Beyond the core protection of the assets in your home, Home Insurance also offers cover for specific valuable items, such as jewelry, artwork, antiques, etc., as well as cover for items on a worldwide basis as an extension. In addition, commonly insurers will offer protection for unspecified items with a maximum limit per item so each item does not need to be individually listed. However, keep in mind that additional items and cover will lead to extra premium. Lastly, Home Contents Insurance will provide a limit of liability of cover for you and your family against third parties.


The second common type of Home Insurance is Fire Insurance.  Unlike Home Contents Insurance, Fire insurance will protect the physical structure of the building or home against perils, such as fire, flood, and typhoon. Keep in mind, Fire Insurance does not cover non-tangible factors such as location and land which affect the price of the property.

Benefits / Highlights
  • Protection against unforeseen perils, such as fire, storms, and floods
  • Peace of mind knowing your valuables and assets are protected
  • Extension for global coverage and specified items, such as jewelry and artwork
  • Protection against theft and burglary
  • Commonly required by banks for a mortgage
  • Protection of your investment, and keeping repair costs at a minimum
Uses for Home Insurance

Property in Hong Kong is some of the most expensive in the world, and you’ve worked hard to maintain and make your house a home for you and your family. Make sure you protect your assets against losses, damage, or theft. Fires, burglaries, and burst pipes can lead to excessive damage and steep repair costs; let alone compensation and legal costs to third-parties for any bodily injury or property damage caused by your property.


With Home Contents Insurance, you have peace of mind knowing your assets are protected. Moreover, with (optional) cover for specific items and worldwide possessions you can make sure your assets are protected, whatever they are and where ever they are.


Also, if you are the owner of a property, or looking to purchase, then you should consider comprehensive Fire Insurance for cover. All bank mortgages require that Fire Insurance be in place for the mortgaged property. However, building survey expenses can add up, and most Hong Kong insurers will not advise on the sum to be insured. As a result, it is often advised that the sum insured should be the equal to the outstanding mortgage.

  • AIG
  • AXA
  • Chubb
  • Liberty
  • Prudential
  • Zurich